Words from my devotional today hit me like a ton of bricks:
Thankfulness lifts you up above your circumstances.
~ Jesus Calling Morning and Evening Devotional
Woah. Stop. Right. There. Forget my to-do list, forget my petty thoughts and complaints, forget my plans for today.
Let me slow down and sit in wonder and be grateful for life’s precious moments.
So I went into my Mom’s room and I sat with her at her bedside before the hub-bub of the day got in the way. She woke up smiling today and kept saying everything was beautiful. I’m beautiful, the birds are beautiful, the trees are beautiful, the cats stalking the birds are beautiful. If it isn’t something she can see but something she experiences, then in addition to being beautiful, it is wonderful.
Me: “Mom, do you like the applesauce”?
Mom: “It’s wonderful !”
Wow – Applesauce with crushed up meds is wonderful. She is so amazing.
My prayer today:
Dear God, help me slow down. Help me not miss the precious moments by being to busy with my big plans. Let me be present so I can be grateful for all the things that really matter. And Lord, please grow me into someone like my Mama. Amen.
And oh by the way, here is the start of my gratitude journal today:
- I’m thankful for another precious day with my Mom
- I’m thankful for her smile
- I’m thankful she thinks I’m beautiful
- I’m thankful for the Caregivers who are like family and who give so much and take so little (you know who you are 🙂 )
- I’m thankful for my husband who took a sick day yesterday so I could take a nap
- I’m thankful for my friends who text me to see how we are doing
- I’m thankful for the love of family
- I’m thankful for this spring-like weather and the amazing view outside my Mom’s window
- I’m thankful for the fur babies who will not leave our side (birdwatching time excluded)
- I’m thankful for the many delicious meals brought over by dear friends
- I’m thankful for Hospice and the amazing people that work there
- I’m thankful for Reese’s peanut butter eggs and double-decker burgers, mega sources of comfort
- I’m thankful I serve an awesome God